The Herbal Apprenticeship Program
Join us for a year-long intensive and experiential training to deepen your skills and knowledge as an herbalist. The Herbal Apprenticeship Program with Feather Jones, Clinical Herbalist and educator, launches on Sunday, February 17th, 2019, and continues through January 19th, 2020, with events on the third Sunday of every month, with the exception of August 11th and two botanical field trips.
- 96 hour training program
- 12 Courses throughout the year
- Located in and around beautiful Sedona, Arizona
- Held the 3rd Sunday each Month
- 2 Botanical Field Trips (April & July)
* 2 botanical field trips (April & June) *can be purchased separately, see details below.
- April 27th – 28th, 2019 – Southwestern Boyce Thompson Arboretum Field Trip
- June 25th – 28th, 2019 – Rocky Mountain Botanical Field Trip
Enhance Your Herbal Knowledge With:
- Plant Identification ~ Get to know the bioregional plants of the deserts, riparians, canyons and mountains.
- Mindful Harvesting Practices ~ Gain an understanding of sustainable wild harvesting techniques for each plant we gather, ‘tending the wild garden’.
- Materia Medica ~ The stories of the plants: Discover how ancient cultures used them for foods and medicines, folk remedies, pharmacognosy, the science of botanical medicine, clinical practices and common everyday uses.
- Herbal Therapeutics ~ How to apply herbal medicines in specific indications, using formulas and simples.
- Constitutional Medicine ~ An introduction to the foundation of herbal medicine.
- Organ System Imbalances ~ Learn herbal actions for each system, when to tone, when to strengthen, when to stimulate or sedate and when to nourish.
- Herbal Medicine Making ~ Spend time in the kitchen making remedies: salves, tinctures, tisanes, herbal treats and respiratory syrups.
- Herbal Energetics ~ Discover your innate connection to the plants themselves through flower essences and intuitive practice.
|Full Tuition ($100 discount)|
|Full Year, Due February 1st||$1100|
|Half Year Tuition ($50 discount)|
|Half 1, Due February 1st||$760|
|Half 2, Due August 1st||$400|
|Q1, Due February 1st||$360|
|Q2, Due May 1st||$450|
|Q3, Due Aug 1st||$225|
|Q4, Due Nov 1st||$225|
|Individual A-la-carte Classes||$110|
|Field Trip #1, Southwest Arboretum Field Trip, Arizona
April 27th – 28th, 2019
|Field Trip #2, Desert Botanical Outing in the Chiricahua Mountains
April 29th–May 1st 2018
|Field Trip 2, Rocky Mountain Botanical Field Trip, Colorado
June 25th – 28th, 2019
|Field Trip #4, Durango Root Harvest Field Trip, Colorado
August 12th-13th, 2018
Botanical Field Trip #1
Boyce Thompson Arboretum, Arizona – April 27th – 28th, 2019
The first botanical field trip will be the Southwestern Boyce Thompson Arboretum Field Trip. It includes overnight camping at Oak Flats campground in Superior, Arizona. Saturday afternoon, April 27th, we’ll be wildcrafting in the high desert, with a special guest herbal speaker in the evening. Sunday morning through lunch, we’ll be at the Arboretum, where the cost is $10 per person entrance fee. This is a magnificent living plant museum and we’ll take an herb walk around the grounds. There are several gardens within the arboretum, and Feather will introduce students to many new plants.
If you want to pay for this field trip A La Carte, the cost is $200 otherwise, the training is included in the program fee.
Botanical Field Trip #2
Desert Botanical Outing in the Chiricahua Mountains – April 29th-May 1st 2018
This two overnight camping field trip will explore the flora of the eastern Chiricahuas in Cave Creek Canyon, outside Portal & the surrounding desert, a unique sky island range in southeastern Arizona. A birder’s paradise, this magical canyon and volcanic cliffs are filled with little caves where the bats reside that pollinate the desert blooms. Our woodland campground is inhabited by gamble oaks, alligator junipers and white-boned sycamores. Several plant zone communities converge here. Focus will be on plant identification, herbal therapeutics, some pharmacognosy, ethnobotany and plant stories.
If you want to pay for this field trip A La Carte, the cost is $200 otherwise, the training is included in the program fee. A packet of pertinent information will be sent upon tuition payment.
Come meet the mountain plants and awaken your senses to the magic and medicine they offer us!
Botanical Field Trip #2
Rocky Mountain Botanical, Colorado – June 25th – 28th, 2019
The four day Rocky Mountain Botanical Field Trip includes camping in beautiful Lyons, Colorado with daily caravans to different plant zone communities in the Rocky Mountains. Instructions are given for preparing fresh plant tinctures, oils, vinegars, and honeys. This is an excellent opportunity to get hands-on instruction on ethical wildcrafting and develop a personal pharmacy. On one evening during the field trip, guest speaker and renown herbalist, Brigitte Mars, will walk you through her working garden in Boulder, Colorado.
If you want to pay for this field trip A La Carte, the cost is $400 otherwise, the training is included in the program fee (excluding camping).
Botanical Field Trip #4
Durango Root Harvest Field Trip, Colorado – August 12th-13th, 2018
This trip includes primitive camping under the stars in a little aspen grove around 8,000”. Sustainable permitted osha harvesting will be allowed. Other roots that are ready can be harvested as well. Our time to honor the plants, learn the medicine and make powerful remedies